Yesterday was hectic. I had to bottle my American Rye Ale and then start brewing my next batch, Bourbon Barrel Porter. Yeah, I did it to myself. But my multitasking skills came shining through.
American Rye Ale Bottling:
This brew has been in primary fermentation for 14 days. I decided to go with Dixie Crystals pure cane sugar for bottle priming instead of corn sugar due to my carbonation problems previously. I did use corn sugar in one bottle to see if there is a difference. But first I had to rack the batch to a second sanitized Mr. Beer keg. There was just too much trub to bottle straight from the primary. So I transferred and bottled with little issue. They’ll sit for two weeks and then go into the fridge, ready to drink by Thanksgiving. I did get a final gravity reading of 1.001 which brings my approximate %ABV to 3.9%.
Bourbon Barrel Porter:
The reason I needed to get this going this week was because I wanted to have this ready to drink by Christmas. This is going to be such a great, toasty, winter warming brew for the holidays. Its a porter recipe with toasted oak chips and some bourbon thrown into the secondary fermentation keg. This is another northernbrewer.com recipe and I had purchased the ingredients at my LHBS as I mentioned in my last post.
- 4.75 lbs Maris Otter
- 0.5 lbs Light Wheat
- 0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 0.25 lbs Briess Black malt
- 0.25 lbs Crystal 77
- 0.5 oz Chinook hops (60 min)
- 0.25 oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
- 0.25 oz East Kent Goldings (5 min)
- Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast
Brewing went pretty smooth. I started with 4 gallons of spring water. This gave me a qt/lb ratio of 2.56 which is about as low as I want to go with a BIAB and it pretty much maxed out my 5 gallon pot. I mashed at 152F for 75 minutes instead of the prescribed 60 min and mashed out at 170F for 10 minutes. My post boil volume was 3 gallons so I topped it off with spring water to 3.5 gal. The wort was as black as midnight. Cooled and transferred to the fermenter without issue. Ended up with a little more than 2.5 gal. The Danstar dry yeast was not just a sprinkle, sit and stir like I’m used to. As per the instructions, I had to rehydrate in 86-92 F sterile (boiled water), stir and pitch. As of last night, it looked like I did it right because I had a little overflow do to fierce activity. Luckily the fermenter was in a cooler and cleanup was a minor inconvenience. So there it will sit for 14 days. Then it goes into secondary.